Sunday, October 22, 2006

Donkeys celebrate Diwali too (videos embedded!)

Diwali is the Hindu new year and while there weren't any big fireworks on display in Manali, there were plenty of small ones banging off the whole night making a riotous racket throughout the town. If a bomb had gone off no one'da known.

Me getting scared shitless when the little firecracker made a very unexpected and very big noise. I felt like a war journalist getting too close to a bomb suddenly going off.



Donkeys are a bit confusticated from all the commotion
Pixagogo direct photo link

A man jumps out of the way as a firecracker goes off
Pixagogo direct photo link

I saw one guy limping away after he was too careless with his fireworks. It was total madness. One group of kids were shooting bottle rockets through the streets.

Bottle rocket goes skyward
Pixagogo direct photo link
Some people were dropping lit fireworks from the roofs of buildings and many people had fires on their roofs and were shooting fireworks skyward.

Where is the adult supervision? There was none to be found, just chaos.


I'm really surprised there weren't more injuries. I nearly got hit by a bottle rocket flying along, bouncing off the street, like a rogue, unguided missile.

The unruliness continues the day after.... Here a donkey eats celebratory flowers off of a taxi. Will the madness ever cease?
Pixagogo direct photo link

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So not sure my next destination. I guess I'm gonna skip Daharm Salah for now as well as doing another trek. We were thinking of doing a longer trek in Pin Parbati valley, skpping the pass, just because Andrew says it's very beautiful. But perhaps it's time to move on, in which case I'll finally be coming to Varanasi Nori! Nori, how was the Diwali celebration in Varanasi?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, on to Varanasi! Come on already. I want me travel buddy back. The trek looks awesome though and I am glad you got to celebrate Diwali. Those bombs... oy, in a few days hopefully I'll regain my hearing.
Okay, hurry on down bhaiya!

Anonymous said...

big juice,
nice dude. glad to see your continued galavanting is paying off in some jest and embellishment.

things are a little stinky back in the berks. my advice is for you to purchase a little shack up in the hills out there, and i'll join you for some sheep sheering.

see you soon dude.

Anonymous said...

Root, it looks like meyham, but at least you survived in one piece. Sorry you did not make the pass but it looks like you had a good if not soggy time. The storm rolling in was quite something. Love your sis, Illona.
P.S. Ana Sofia is just so big and expressive. She's standing and walking holding on to furniture. I can't wait for you to catch up with us. XoxoxoxO

Anonymous said...

jason,
oh my god all week I have been thinking of you and your birthday and then I blew it. I missed it. I thought of you all day and was thinking of you, but I failed to trun on my comuter for the last 3day and so I spaced it. I love you and hope you had a gloriurs birthday. good thing the festival of lights in at the same time. I was V for holloweena and so again I thought of you and guyfox day. I love you so much and can't wait to hear all your stories.
Love alethea

Anonymous said...

jake,
Just kidding I still have time on your birthday wishes. I was looking at October instead of november. I have been working too much and now I am doing no coffee for a week and fasting, but I am not sure I can make it. so the combo made me lose my mind for a moment. Arzu is in town and we are going for lunch.
much love your looney sister, alethea

Anonymous said...

jake,
Just kidding I still have time on your birthday wishes. I was looking at October instead of november. I have been working too much and now I am doing no coffee for a week and fasting, but I am not sure I can make it. so the combo made me lose my mind for a moment. Arzu is in town and we are going for lunch.
much love your looney sister, alethea